After posting the photo of "Flame Trees" yesterday, I did some embellishment, which was to add 7 horizontal rows and 7 vertical rows of straight stitching in an irridescent purple thread. As the contrast remained the same, the embellishment was interesting if you happened to be 12 inches away from the piece but practically invisible from any further away. So I got out the puff-paint (which I have in only 2 colours: copper and mud) and put dark copper 3-D dots where the intersecting lines formed wee squares. Did that change anything? Of course not! It was a little more interesting at 12 inches but still suffering from too-low contrast from any distance.
In the meantime, a post came in from Marion suggesting that the piece needed considerable contrast. (To be honest, you will see a great difference in the overall colour of the piece between the two photos. In yesterday's photo the piece looks virtually all bluey-purple. It isn't. Today's scan gets the colour much as it is in person, although the image is a bit "grainy" in the scan.) Anyway, Marion suggested perhaps adding something bright green might help. Meanwhile, I was having my own idea of what would zing the piece up: bright coral. So taking a bright coral thread, I made zigzag lines up the middle of the channels made by the vertical lines and then made circles around the little puff-paint nubbins. I looked at the result. Still not much contrast. So with a bright green thread, I made zigzag lines along the horizontal lines and made green circles outside the coral ones. Much better!
I wish my thread had been thicker and/or deeper in colour but otherwise, I like the effect. I like that all the designs are still visible, including a few of the fainter transfer crayon ones that were on the background fabric. I think perhaps I shall mount this piece on a larger quilted background, perhaps of a darker bright green. That should help set things off nicely and emphasize Marion's lovely hand-dyed green fabric as well as complement the purple marbled fabric I made.
Anyway, that's the work for today. It felt wonderful to be back in the "creative" mode. Thanks to Marion and Linda for the suggestions. Too late, Linda suggested I might try some sgraffito in thick copper paint over the whole surface and then scrape away the paint in patterns. I had already done too much work on the piece at that point, but thanks for the suggestion, Linda. I'll keep it in my kitbag for future reference.
In addition to the quilting, I walked for the paper and read most of it while listening to choral music CDs, the same ritual I've observed each Sunday for over 2 years. This afternoon, after Don and Gordon played their morning golf game, Gordon's wife, Helen, invited us over for brunch. We had a lovely time and helped Helen extend her birthday celebration.
Tonight, Don and our friend Peter Innes are throwing themselves a Superbowl Party. Don is taking daughter Jill's famous hot and cheesy artichoke dip with some crackers up to Peter's at 11 for the 11:15 pm game. Yes, that's when the game starts over here. Peter is a Scot but before he retired he was with the British embassy and had a couple of tours of duty in the States, so he understands and enjoys American football. Anyway, that's Sunday!
Rain is said to be on its way tomorrow. Let's hope the builders get here first!
05 February 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment