

We had a visitor this week. Don's former AU col-league Kathe-rine Farquhar was with us for a couple of days earlier in the week. It was a short visit and the weather was dark and rainy but we had a great time together anyway. The above photo of Don and Katherine and of the cottages and rushing water were taken in Killin. We went there because with so short a visit and the weather being so bad, there wasn't time to go further afield. We figured the falls would be spectacular what with all that rain adding to their volume and we were right.
We also went to Killin so that Katherine could have a chat with Enid Sutherland who with her husband, Euan, owns the Bridge End Gift Shop right next to the falls. Enid is a spinner of wool (and of great yarns in both senses of the word!) and Katherine is interested in getting into spinning. As it happened, Enid had brought her spinning wheel to the shop so Katherine got advice, encouragement, and a demonstration.
For two days before coming to us, Katherine had been in Aberdeen and Braemar, visiting the area where her Farquhar ancestors originated. Most people in the States, including Katherine, pronounce her surname "FAR-KWAR." When I said the name to Enid in the shop, she blinked and looked at me blankly. So I repeated the name. Several times. Eventually, she said "Oh, you mean FAR-ker." So not only did Katherine learn about spinning; we both learned how to pronounce her name in proper Scots.
I have taken a couple of days this week to spend the bulk of my time in the studio making a small wall quilt (16" x 16"). It is called "Water Falls" and is not directly linked with either the Falls of Dochart at Killin or the amount of rain we've had lately. The title comes from the effect of the transfer paint print I used for the center squares. When I put transfer paint onto a piece of paper, the brush strokes created interesting patterns. When I transferred the print onto a lime-yellow poly-cotton, the brush patterns were reminiscent of falling water. (You can click on the images to get a close-up view.) It felt good to be back in the studio and working on something I could actually finish in a couple of days. I am hoping to be able to finish work on another small piece I began prior to "Water Falls." Perhaps it will show up in the next few days.
I'm still waiting for the delivery of the food mill we ordered online so that I can make apple butter with the 6 dozen apples out in the garage still waiting to be used. In fact, I've used a few in an apple crisp, a pot of porridge, and in a salad and they're still good if a wee bit soft. No matter, they can be soft for making apple butter and the flavour is still superb. Today we had a note from the supplier saying they now have the mill in stock and will be delivered early next week. That is fine because between now and when it arrives, I'll be plenty busy.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in the States enjoying large meals with families and friends, and watching football on tv and snacking later on turkey sandwiches. Mmmm. We decided we didn't want to forego such treats this year and so we've invited 6 folks over for a Thanksgiving feast, although we're having ours on Sunday. Don has even taped an NFL football programme which was on our telly last week so that after the meal, he can turn it on with the sound down and say "This is what Thanksgiving is like at many homes in the U.S." We'll be having turkey and all the trimmings, including sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie, and NPR cranberry relish!


No comments:
Post a Comment