08 August 2007

Enjoying Everyday Life

After several days of excitement toward the end of last week and through Sunday evening, we're quite content to just settle down into everyday life--golfing, sewing, taking walks.

Don missed his regular golf game on Monday morning because he needed to take the car in to have the AC looked at (somehow they had failed to check out the AC before the car was sold). It needed freon gas, which they added along with their apology for having missed out that detail when they were prepping the car for resale. While they were working on it, the mechanic spotted something to do with the steering that he thought needed a wee bit of attention, so they took care of that too--all under warranty, of course. Anyway, Don's been trying to make up for lost time on the golf course ever since. He's out there on his own this morning.

He's also coordinating an online course that just got started. Things are going quite well so he's enjoying checking in on it now and then and posting feedback and encouragement.

I've been working on 4 sewing projects, almost all at the same time. First the knitting ones: Over the weekend I had gotten stuck on the sock I'm knitting. Robbie was away so until I could get a consult with her, I had to just put that project aside. I'm not happy just sitting in front of the TV, whether we're watching a program or a film, so I decided to start on the sweater Robbie has talked me into knitting for Cameron's second birthday (at the end of October). After several starts where I kept having to unravel and start over because of various problems, I managed to get the wristband of the first sleeve knitted but couldn't interpret the next set of instructions. So that too had to wait for Robbie's return. I had a lengthy session with her yesterday and am now back on track on both projects.

The quilting projects are the machine-quilting of the Provencal quilt I'm making for our bed. As you can imagine, it takes a lot of time and is quite tedious and exacting work. After doing that for a few hours, I needed to switch to something much easier. I picked up the pieces I had cut out of the salad fabric I bought in Maryland last April and intend to make into placemats. I have now joined up 3 placemat centers and selected the bordering fabric I'll use. I have 6 more placemats to join up but I'll just continue to work on this project piecemeal as time allows.

Right now, though, I'm about to walk to the Royal with Nan for coffee. Liz and Robbie are away so it's just the two of us.

No comments: